Electric Fuel Pumps

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Thu Feb 10 15:45:43 GMT 2000

Shane,

I have no idea how how much pressure versus volume your 92 'bird pump can
produce.  If you are looking for a high output, cost effective, quiet,
in-tank electric pump for GM TBI/TPI applications I would look at the
offerings from Holley (specifically 12-903 and 12-914).  These are gerotor
style pumps, made by Walbro, and are equipped with all of the hardware that
you will need for installation to your sender unit  (ie: strainer,
connector, isolator, instructions, etc...).

Bosch also have some excellent in-tank pumps, but they can be a bit pricey,
and sometimes it can be a PITA to custom adapt strainers to the bottoms of
these.  One good all purpose in-tank/out-of-tank pump is the Bosch GFP216
(aka 0 580 254 984).  However, be warned that this is a rollervane style
pump, and has an irritating whine, as opposed to the gerotor style above.
Whenever faced with the choice of installing in-tank or out-of-tank, I
prefer in-tank for two reasons.  1) less operating noise  2) reduced
suction/lift  losses & vapour effects at the pump inlet.

Walt.