Electric Fuel Pumps

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Thu Feb 10 18:58:52 GMT 2000

>Shane,
>
>I have no idea how how much pressure versus volume your 92 'bird pump can
>produce.  If you are looking for a high output, cost effective, quiet,
>in-tank electric pump for GM TBI/TPI applications I would look at the
>offerings from Holley (specifically 12-903 and 12-914).  These are gerotor
>style pumps, made by Walbro, and are equipped with all of the hardware that
>you will need for installation to your sender unit  (ie: strainer,
>connector, isolator, instructions, etc...).
>
>Bosch also have some excellent in-tank pumps, but they can be a bit pricey,
>and sometimes it can be a PITA to custom adapt strainers to the bottoms of
>these.  One good all purpose in-tank/out-of-tank pump is the Bosch GFP216
>(aka 0 580 254 984).  However, be warned that this is a rollervane style
>pump, and has an irritating whine, as opposed to the gerotor style above.
>Whenever faced with the choice of installing in-tank or out-of-tank, I
>prefer in-tank for two reasons.  1) less operating noise  2) reduced
>suction/lift  losses & vapour effects at the pump inlet.
>
>Walt.

Hi Walt--

Didn't realize that you had good pump data at hand!

I have been pondering using a primary in tank pump, only need maybe 7 to 10
psi output,  but 60 to 80 GPH would be a good idea. Thinking I will use a
mechanically driven gear type secondary HP pump to feed the rails. The
mechanical pump is no problem to come up with or drive, but I (naturally)
want something quite reliable and relatively insensitive to dirt in the
tank.

Electrical system will be 24 vdc. I have been thinking pretty seriously
about just using a 24v. marine centrifugal bilge pump in the tank--35
HUNDRED GPH, but just run it right up near the (about 7 psi on gasoline)
stall head on its curve--very nearly constant output as to pressure that
way at such a low flow rate for the pjmp's size, and thus be able to make
whatever primary fuel flow I need in a laugh. And--at such a low peak flow
rate relative to the size of the pump, relatively low current requirement
for the pump motor, and hence very reliable and cool running. Clearly not
sensitve to dirt, either.

Any thoughts or other suggestions for an in-tank pump that would fill this
general need??

I would think that running a HP in-tank fuel pump , but regulated to the
low output pressure I need, but at 24 v instead of 12 v. MIGHT just goose
the (pump speed and) volume of a fairly ordinary in-tank pump up to what I
need with no adverse effects on the pump motor so long as the load on it
was light due to the low pressure---

Regards, Greg