Electric Fuel Pumps

Espen Hilde mwichstr at online.no
Fri Feb 11 23:49:10 GMT 2000

Hi!
Interesting tought to use a marine pump as a low pressure pump ,
I think you are right in this tought of using high volume, maybe big size
tubing ,that can fill the catch tank in a hurry.
I am in the middle of the same problems of deciding on what low pressure
pump to fill the catch tanks in the boat.I have trown the weldon high
pressure
pumps ,made a stainless steel chach tank from 8"thin wall stainless tubing.
Below the buttom I have straped the Bosch fuel pumps and Bosch inline
fuel filter .One of the weldon pumps was running slower because of internal
friction in pump and the
bearings in the motor I changed too ,but did not help much.....This pumps
came from a boat that was a winner.....after a season of storage the top
rpm fell 1500....it was a looser.....they changed engines checked
everything but could not find what was wrong.....I think one of the pumps
seized partialy
during storage.The design with the open shaft from the electric motor into
the pump , I dont like it from a security point of wiew.(their heavy
too...)
The low pressure pumps I have is some simular design pumps I dont remember
the name(blue el engine).....I cant use them....to noisy and cavitates when
trying to suck from tank.I have seen some big diagram pumps I am thinking
of using.
The Marine water pumps engine is supposed to work in a air filled part of
the pump.I have never seen a sentrifugal low pressure pump for fuel
Why not??
Yamaha200 hp  direct injection efi outboard is using 50bar in line fuel
pressure from a mecanical engine driven pump.( I have heard other extrem e
pressures ,but this is latest info....)
Sorry about all the gossip ....
Espen