Dual ign system question

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Thu Feb 17 18:50:09 GMT 2000

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Ken Kelly wrote:

> MOV? Metal Oxide Varistor? I believe that's what they use in surge
> protectors. Is that what you're talking about?

I think the MOV's only last for a small number of hits so they would
probably burn out pretty quickly.

> I have seen these devices, and it didn't seem to have anything to protect it
> against the voltage going into the other coil.. You just flip an SPST switch
> between coil power supplies. Would it really matter anyway, since it'd just
> get converted back into 12v at the other coil power terminal? (This can be
> avoided with a diode?)

It would take lots of diodes, most diodes only stop about 1kv going
backwards, over that and it will go through.

One side of that coil is grounded right?  So putting 50kv a the coil
terminal (not generated from the coil) would short to ground through
the unenergized coil, so you would need something to prevent the
backflow.  So for each wire I would need sets of diodes to stop the
expected voltage which could be a problem.

Still thinking about what the isses with implementing this sort of
thing are.

			Roger