Dual ign system question

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Fri Feb 18 06:08:18 GMT 2000

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:54:31 -0600 (CST) Roger Heflin
<rah at horizon.hit.net> wrote:

>On my car right now I have two fully functional ignition systems.
>Both have coils and plug wires, on one system is setup to generate
>spark at one time.   Is it possible to have one wire running to a plug
>and two different systems feeding that wire with spark?   Would one
>coil sparking backfeed the other in a bad manner and possibly damage
>one system or both systems?
>
>One system is a DIS system and the other is a basically a classic
>coil/distributor type setup.  I would expect both systems to fire at
>roughly the same time, but I could adjust the dis system to fire
>several degrees after the optimal fireing position that would be taken
>by the coil/distrubitor setup.

WHOA, I just noticed this. You're talking about joining a dizzy IGN with
a DIS/wastefire system!!?? I wasn't following the thread closely enough,
I see. If your DIS system is a wastefire system, I take back what I said
about the MSD coil-joiners being suitable. I don't know of a way to
combine these two types of systems, because the dizzy IGN wants to fire
the plugs all in the same polarity, and the DIS wants to fire the plugs
in pairs of opposite polarity. There exist coil-joiners for waste-fire
systems, if you want to combine two of those IGN systems in a redundant
pair, as well as the MSD joiners, if you want to join two dizzy-based
systems (one dizzy w/two pickups & coils), but I don't know of any way
to mix up the two (DIS with dizzy) when firing the same set of plugs.

Shoulda stayed out of something I wasn't paying close attention to.
Argh. Sorry for the mislead.

Gar