Mass airflow sensors.

Brian Franchuk franchuk at mm.com
Sat Feb 19 06:38:10 GMT 2000

Hi,

I'm also working on converting my AFM to MAF but I've ran into a
couple problems that I don't see mentioned here.  The response
time of the AFM to changes in air flow is almost instantaneous.
However, the MAF (GM hot film sensor) requires about 200ms to
fully react to a change in flow.  If I map the MAF signal to an
equivalent AFM voltage, the car runs great, as long as I don't stab
the gas.  If I do, I basically go very lean for 200ms resulting in a
very nasty head jerking event.  My thought was to use the
derivative of the TPS signal to compensate during the 200ms.
Unfortunately, my car doesn't have a TPS.  If there any way to
accomplish what I want or do I have to add a TPS?

Any thoughts?  BTW the car is an 88 BMW 535i if that helps.

Thanks.

Brian Franchuk