Mass airflow sensors.

Andrew Brownsword asword at telus.net
Sat Feb 19 16:43:08 GMT 2000

Hmmm... this is a strong argument for converting to speed/density.  The
pressure change should be instantaneous -- or at least as fast as the VAF
signal change.  Another issue that has been brought up is that a MAF might
not work well in a boosted situation like mine... it might not be pressure
tight and will get dirty quickly if downstream from the turbo.  I don't have
room to put it upstream.

These factors make the LinkAFM look more appealing again.  My theory on the
Link is that they built it to replace MAFs or flapper-door style VAFs, so
they will have attempted to generate a signal that is reasonably compatible
with a MAFs output.  This gives me a baseline to start with, and tune on the
dyno from there.  I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask:  does anyone have the
output plots from a conventional flapper door style VAF?

Somebody else pointed me to the HKS Vein Pressure Converter, which acts in a
similar manner to the LinkAFM.  It is considerably more expensive, and LESS
easily programmable, however.  Anyone know of any other options?

Thanks for bringing up this issue, I had been concerned about response times
but had heard/seen no mention of it anywhere.

Cheers,
  Andrew