Another newbie and his project

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Tue Feb 29 03:54:36 GMT 2000

MysticZ wrote:

> I've been lurking for a while seeing what the group was like and decided
> to open my mouth now.
>
> I'm slowly working on a fuel injection system for my 90 model Kawasaki
> EX500. I'm planning to use a TBI batch fire type system. The engine is a
> 2 cylinder 500cc parallel twin with a 180 degree firing order and dual
> carbs. Unless I come up with a new plan I'm going to use throttle
> position and RPM to look up entries on the fuel map. I also plan on
> adding some programming to boost fuel when the throttle is opened
> rapidly. I'd also like to use a higher than normal fuel pressure to help
> atomize the fuel at higher RPM since the redline is 11,000. That's also
> the reason for TBI instead of multi-port. I considered using a computer
> from the smallest 4 cylinder I can find (Geo Storm or similar) with dual
> injectors per cyl. Unfortunately the O2 sensor setup will be a
> compromise as the header is over 50% of the entire length of the exhaust
> and if I put the sensor in the collector it won't get hot enough to
> work.

Steve, I haven't seen any comments yet so I'll throw out a couple.
First, use a heater O2 sensor and you don't have to worry about how far
it is from the manifold.  OBD-II cars have one after the cat and it
works fine.

You mention an alpha-N strategy (TPS vs RPM), and also a GM ecm.  AFAIK
there are no GM ECMs that use this strategy.  I also think your upper
RPM limit might be a problem for a car ECM.

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com
ARM,Inc.