TWM & GM ECM

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Jan 9 00:59:09 GMT 2000

| OK, help me through this hypothetically (I'll save it!)

You sure, you edited out the precious stuff, from the first post.
I told you what ecms, I would consider, and where to look for info., and
then you write back asking questions that a casual scan would have answered.
Also, don't forget the archives, thes DIY+GMECM.  You need to be informed,
and just doing FAQ ain't enough, you got lots of home work.
 Anyway:

| Is there a crank triggered 4-cyl non turbo ecu from GM that would do the
| following:
| 1) control the fuel pump on/off

They all do after a fashion, looking at the wiring diagram for mentioned
ecms at FTP will show you how, it's done

| 2) I guess we use a GM temp sensor (no prob) for warm up.

It's used all the time, and critical for a street car.

| 3) trigger off the crank (I can probably fabricate that part,
| depending on how GM triggers)

Several, strategies, might consider the local library and looking at shop
manuals.  Might even consider figuring out what you have, and how that
compares to where your going.

| 4) fire a coil or MSD through the original dist/cap/rotor
| (I could do crank fire 1/coil per cyl, but am trying to keep
| the extra's down and don't want to try to force a GM dist into
| this engine)

Any 12v to 0 point open signal operates a MSD etc..

| 5) I assume a TPS is used, yes?

Yes

| 6) Is a MAP?

The 730 hac I refered to is MAP

| 7) Could I (would I want to) use a MAF with the TWM's/GM

I'd go MAP, and that's what the hac is for.

| 8) What donor vehicle are you thinking?

I'd finish gather info about what is going on, and then worry about parts.

| 9) I don't have emissions as an issue, do we want to or need
| to run an O2 sensor for the ECU to function or would it just run open
| loop if not connected?

No big lose just using closed loop.  For the novice might be easier, long
term.
Grumpy