Turbo motor

Greg Tully mangotre at hula.net
Thu Jan 13 08:42:07 GMT 2000

Hi

I am running the efi332 two layer cpu board and the i/o board in my car.
Just
doing spark, boost control for the moment. I am picking the signal off
of the distributor with the TPU PPWA, and setting advance, retard, and
turbo boost. No problems with cpu board yet but still looking..

I am using a map sensor from a mid 80's (chrysler,dodge,plymouth) turbo
K car. There are a lot of these cars in the wrecking yards. This is a
one
atmosphere boost unit. It has a ground wire, 5 volt supply wire and a
sense wire. Measured data:

         Pressure     output volts
          30" hg        .56
          15" hg       1.30
           0           2.47
           5psi        3.25
          10psi        4.13
          15psi        5.00

Under boost I have noticed that my car has a tendency to ping more at
3000 rpm , which I would guess is the tuned configuration of the motor.
So boost and/or timing can be reduced. If the timing is reduced to
prevent any detonation, and the boost is left alone. It will generate
spectacular boost numbers and it runs strong. But it runs about the same
when I reduce the timing a little bit and limit the boost. So it looks
like there are two different ways to get to the same point. So what is
the best way to tune a turbocharger motor? I would guess reducing the
timing a little, and then limit boost to prevent detonation...

Also I have noticed that GM spark rpm/load tables arrays seem to be 16
bytes wide, even when its a Grand National turbo motor. It seems like
that if its a one atmosphere map unit the table should be 32 bytes wide
for the same resolution. Any comments on this one?

My car is a 4 cyl turbocharger Saab, dual overhead cams, four valves per
cylinder, with intercooler.. not bad for a stock 1989 car. Its not a
performance car, its heavy and the transmission is weak, but it is an
interesting platform to fool around with.

                                Aloha Greg