Lamda sensor mounting

Gareth Jones garethjones at lycosmail.com
Tue Jan 18 20:44:53 GMT 2000

> Hi,
>
> I am running a Mini with a highly tuned A series engine (100bhp from a
> 1.3litre). It has a carb and Distributer but I am thinking about adding a
> Lamda sensor with a dash mounted gauge so that I can Keep an eye on the
> mixture.
>
> Where in the exhaust system is the best place to mount the sensor? Close
> the head? 6ft down the exhaust? I have a Long center branch exhaust
> manifold which doesn't bring the ports together for about 3ft after the
> cylinder head. The manifold is also new (and expensive) so I would prefur
> to mount is in the exhaust if it doesn't affect the reading.
>
> I plan to get a sensor from a car in a scrap yard are there any UK (comon)
> makes of cars that have better Lamda sensor than others?
>
> In the UK they recently banned Leaded petrol. They made Lead replacement
> petrol available to 'replace' it. Does LRP clog lamba sensors like Leaded
> petrol does? I can run Unleaded but LRP has Higher Octane rating than
> Unleaded and is cheaper than Super Unleaded.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ade

Hi Ade,

I had a mini catalogue a while ago which listed an LCB Y peice with a boss
for mounting a lambda sensor. Unfortunately I can't find the catalogue
anymore, but I would suggest you try the usual big suppliers MiniSpares,
MiniSport, MiniSpeed, etc. I bet you non mini owners just can't believe the
cunning originality in these names ;-) Or maybe even try going directly to
somebody like Maniflow. Either way it would be cheaper than wrecking a whole
LCB.

Gareth Jones