Digest V5 #34 Min GM ECM

Todd Israels israels at mnsi.net
Fri Jan 21 21:49:50 GMT 2000

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:35:48 -0500
>From: "jtyler" <jtyler at ga.prestige.net>
>Subject: re:Minimum to run GMECM?
>
>No I wasn't getting pissy.  Thank you for all your help already.
>
>I really meant it just seems for the relatively simple
>app I described, trying to disable/fool/recode 80% of the ECM
>provisions may not be the way to go.  SDS or similar may be smarter
>if it is going to take 2 years to figure out how too undo all that
>GM spent millions doing.
>
>With all the provisions in the GM code (and I realize why they have to do
that stuff), it seems like trying to use a sledgehammer to drive a nail.
All the complexity GM had to do for a production vehicle simply isn't
neccesary for my application.

>I was trying to find more info on the 168/808 applications you
>mentioned.  I haven't found if any of those where DIS.
>
>I could use a speedo cable VSS if the ECM is going to get dumb without it.
>
>So:
>
>VSS,MAP,Temp,TPS,Ignition  maybe that would be enough.
>
>I looked at the 165 app on TC, it was a MAF.  The 227 app there
>had a 4 cyl switch and was MAP, but was auto, so I'll look for the manual
version.

>>Perhaps this application is just too basic for all that GM wizardry...
>>sorry I bothered you with it.
>
>>Jim
>
>- ------------------------------

	All that GM complexity could come in handy.  I dont recall your aplication
but it is my recolection that as sensors error it dissabels that part of
the code and runs on a simpler map not affected by the erroring sensor.
You dont have to hook all the sensors up but they are there fro a reason.
I got a 4cl Fiero to start and run with RPM Vss(needed for start but will
keep running if unpluged) and MAP.  This was on a scraped car with the
clutch out so driveability was not checked.  Hopefully someone can help
with the details I know are missing, have just started looking at the code
in GM ECMs
	Good Luck Todd Israels