believe iot or not

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Jan 22 11:09:30 GMT 2000

| Addition of an inert gas allows more complete filling of the cyl with less
| fuel, yet no leaning of the mixture. Lets say for argument's sake a full
| charge is one litre. At low load, partial throttle, VE may be throttle
| limitted to 20or 30%. The A/F mixture is 14:1. CR is 8:1.
| With a 30% VE effective CR is  reduced somewhat - possibly as low as about
| 3:1.

We agree line for line up until the last sentence.  Now even with it drop
the mention of the CR, and I agree with you.  But, I don't see how you can
tie CR to VE.  The VE is a funstion of tuning, not calculation.  You can
guess at a VE, but it ain't so, till the tuner says "Done"..

| Now, lets add 200cc of inert gas to the cyl.
| We now have an effective VE of 40 or 50%, raising the effective
compression
| ratio at the same throttle opening, with the same A/F ratio, to closer to
| 5:1.

Did you remove a 200cc amount of air?.
What you say here, is just the opposite of what I see happening, again
ignoring the mention of CR.

| We get the same power out of the burning fuel - likely even a bit more due
| to more squeeze. We also expand the inert gas charge due to heating, and a
| portion of the heat that would normally go out the pipe is absorbed here.
| This absorption of cyl heat by the inert charge also reduces the cyl
| temperature to a point where less nitrogen is oxidized, thus reducing NOX
| emissions.

I've always seen an increase in TPS, when adding EGR.  While I haven't done
alot of adding of EGR, I've never seen a lowering of TPS, or increase in
MPG.   Yes, what I generally tinker with is cammed alot more then oem, so
self egr'ing is alot more at low speed, and maybe that's a bigger issue then
I'd thought.
Grumpy