Electro valves

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Jan 30 00:34:32 GMT 2000

| The F1 teams are/were reportedly using very high
| pressure nitrogen gas (from an on-board storage tank)
| to actuate the valves. This eliminates springs,
| keepers, followers, etc.

I've heard they still use valve springs, but only to hold things together
when the engine isn't running.  The oil splash is enough to "seal" the cam
follower buckets.
There is a fixed volume of gas (assuming no leakage) but the follow of gas
has to be almost instantaneous, from area to area (way hydralics won't work
on even low rpm engines).

| A servo-valve system could be implemented that uses
| solenoids to control the high pressure nitrogen gas.

If you mean to totally eliminate the cam?.  Would take a Cray to do that,
and solenoids from the dilithuim chamber.

| Cannot visualize this system for street use. But
| perhaps high pressure hydraulic technology could
| replace the nitrogen gas for < 8,000 RPM use. You can
| get 2,000 PSI hardware anywhere. I tried some trial
| calculations to confirm that it was not flatly
| impossible, but do not know enough hydraulic theory or
| practice to get meaningful results of max
| acceleration, rate, sizing, etc.
| Just another job for our trusty ECU's to handle. But
| how would you implement a 'limp-home' strategy? Lot's
| of eggs in one very complicated basket.
| Thoughts anyone?

I remember when baskets, just one day a year, had eggs in them.  Those were
the days
Grumpy