Camless Cylinder Head

crash70 crash70 at epix.net
Sun Jan 30 17:04:07 GMT 2000

>At 16:51 28/01/00 +0200, Carlo Putter wrote:
>>Has anybody ever had an idea to manufacture a cam less machine. Well I've
>>got that dream, maybe somebody has tried it already.
>>
>>Here is my idea:
>>Used normal valves with light springs. The valves can be closed and opened
>>by electro-magnetic coils on it. This would then give the option to the
>>engine tuner to design a infinitely variable camshaft! But this would only
>>be day-dreaming until any-body tries it. I haven't got any metal work
tools,
>>but have some power-electronics experience.

I know that BMW has built such a machine. I can't remember where I saw it,
but it had a MASSIVE alternator integrated into the flywheel to power the
coils. From what I remember, it DID work, but it was astronomically
expensive, and heavy.

The pressure on the valves from combustion chamber pressure can be
(somewhat) alleviated by using multivalve technology. Audi's 5 valve head is
a perfect candidate. You could even have the intake valves open in patterns
to promote swirl, or have only one or two open at cruising speeds. Sounds
cool to me!

crash