camless engine

Laura & Neil neilaura at accessworldnet.com
Sun Jan 30 20:10:46 GMT 2000

> | The F1 teams are/were reportedly using very high
> | pressure nitrogen gas (from an on-board storage tank)
> | to actuate the valves. This eliminates springs,
> | keepers, followers, etc.
>
> I've heard they still use valve springs, but only to hold things together
> when the engine isn't running.  The oil splash is enough to "seal" the cam
> follower buckets.
> There is a fixed volume of gas (assuming no leakage) but the follow of gas
> has to be almost instantaneous, from area to area (way hydralics won't work
> on even low rpm engines).
> |
> | A servo-valve system could be implemented that uses
> | solenoids to control the high pressure nitrogen gas.
>
> If you mean to totally eliminate the cam?.  Would take a Cray to do that,
> and solenoids from the dilithuim chamber.
>
> | Cannot visualize this system for street use. But
> | perhaps high pressure hydraulic technology could
> | replace the nitrogen gas for < 8,000 RPM use. You can
> | get 2,000 PSI hardware anywhere. I tried some trial
> | calculations to confirm that it was not flatly
> | impossible, but do not know enough hydraulic theory or
> | practice to get meaningful results of max
> | acceleration, rate, sizing, etc.
> | Just another job for our trusty ECU's to handle. But
> | how would you implement a 'limp-home' strategy? Lot's
> | of eggs in one very complicated basket.
> | Thoughts anyone?
>
> I remember when baskets, just one day a year, had eggs in them.  Those were
> the days
> Grumpy

Please take it easy on me Grumpy.
But how about adapting the Ford powerstroke diesel idea.
A high pressure engine driven hydraulic pump, from what I remember, running at
about 2000psi, being fed through computer controlled solenoids to operate the
injectors. Shouldn't take too much imagination to substitute the injectors for
valves.

O.K, I'm well braced. Fire away Grumpy.