camless engine

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Sun Jan 30 22:06:06 GMT 2000

>> | The F1 teams are/were reportedly using very high

>> I remember when baskets, just one day a year, had eggs in them.  Those were
>> the days
>> Grumpy
>> |

>Please take it easy on me Grumpy.
>But how about adapting the Ford powerstroke diesel idea.
>A high pressure engine driven hydraulic pump, from what I remember, running at
>about 2000psi, being fed through computer controlled solenoids to operate the
>injectors. Shouldn't take too much imagination to substitute the injectors for
>valves.
>

>O.K, I'm well braced. Fire away Grumpy.

Just lettin' Grumpy relax--

You have pretty well defined the hydraulic system necessary to squirt about
0.06 grams of diesel fuel into a chamber in each cylinder of the Navistar
V-8 26 times a second. And--remember, it only has to squirt the diesel in
one direction.

Now--double the frequency (suspecting that you want to do this on an engine
that turns more than 3200 rpm). Then, increase the mass that you have to
move by a factor of at least three thousand (for a 180 gram valve?), and
last of all, actuate it in both directions. For a little extra fun, realize
that no impact at the end of the stroke is acceptable. Last of all,
consider the amount of work Navistar did to develop the injection system!

Be kind of a fun problem, I would think!

Greg