Water Injection

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Mon Jan 31 15:32:29 GMT 2000

>Hi all
>
>Have been reading a lot about water injection and how
>it reduces detonation.  To run high boost I think
>water injection is the way to go, but as stated it
>must be in atomised form and not produce steam.
>
>So where is the best place to inject it and just one
>injector or one per cylinder ?
>
>Before or after the turbo ?
>
>If after the turbo would it be best before or after
>the fuel injectors ?

A lot of this is open to heated discussion and careful experimentation.
Good execution vs bad could leave a very wrong impression as to how well
one approach or another works!

What I would be inclined to try first would be one water nozzle in each
port, in about the same location as the injector. Lots of pressure to the
nozzles for good atomization. Pay attention to the timing of the squirts so
as to have the best chance of getting the water mist into the cylinders
unevaporated.

Spraying water on the COOLING AIR side of an intercooler can be very
helpful too, with NO bad effects on engine performance--will greatly
increase the efficiency of the intercooler. (This approach will
evaporatively cool --just like a swamp cooler--the cooling air for the IC.

With care, some before the turbo can be very effective and perhaps the
simplest--reduce the work the turbo compressor has to do, and therefore
also reduce the cooling the intercooler has to do.  This has the potential
to improve spooling rate if done properly. You woould not want to go beyond
the amount of water that would saturate the air coming out of the IC (with
respect to water vapor), and after the intercooler, the air stream would be
foggy--as the cooling would leave it supersaturated--so you would have to
watch out for condensation traps in the duct work after the IC.

Greg