DIY_EFI Digest V5 #45

Christian J. Knudstrup Christian.J.Knudstrup at esc1.net
Mon Jan 31 19:11:31 GMT 2000

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 15:10:57 -0600
From: mark koenig <mrkk at execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Electro valves

Carlo Putter wrote:

> Has anybody ever had an idea to manufacture a cam less machine. Well I've
> got that dream, maybe somebody has tried it already.

<snip>

My two cents worth:
Aren't we missing something?  If we do away with the camshaft, why not
do away with the valves as we know them?  How about an Iris?  Or maybe
some sort of sliding/rotating window?  Would seem to do away with the
problems of valve inertia when changing direction 180 degrees (up/down).
 And would reduce the problems with overcoming cylinder pressures?  And
then we could change port shape to something more useful.  Like maybe
a crescent moon shape instead of round?  Or many little triangles over
the whole cylinder diameter, with alternate triangles being intake and
exhaust?
Or maybe just one huge port in the head used by both intake and exhaust,
with redirection of intake and exhaust being done OUTSIDE of the
combustion chamber?
Just a few off-the-wall thoughts.  If we're going to re-think things,
and using the old valve configuration doesn't seem to work, then let's
throw out the valves, too!

BitWrangler
mrkkatexecpcNOHAMdotcom

He is right why not get rid of the valves?? why not a rotating circle on the
top of a cylinder with a window to intake and exhaust airwould be much less
restriction than a valve is now and each cylinder can be controlled
individually for timing.  Besides the quench area for combustion could be
greatly reduced and no more domed pistons and no valve clearances needed.

It just might work and could even work as a retro kit on most older cars
even if done right.

Christian