KISS EFI

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Jul 1 12:41:58 GMT 2000

> >Sure, but there's "reliable cuz it's simple" and there's "reliable cuz
> >it's failsoft/failsafe". In XA we're not much a fan of the "simpleton".
> >It's just amazing how "un-simple" that "simple" system can be. :)  When
> >your life's on the line, you want backup, not "simple" solutions.

I'll take the simple thank you.

> Geez, I must be losin the paltry remnants of what's left of me mind!
> Actually, we ARE all fans of what's simple, aren't we?

Nope, that's on the way out.  There is a quite revolt going on.  Early on
the DIY there was an interesting quote,  we design a hardware system that
should do the job, and then trow enough software at it till it works as we
planned it.

 FIRST and
> foremost, you want "reliable cuz it's simple", THEN when it's really
> critical, you ALSO want "reliable cuz it's failsoft/failsafe". Not good
> to pit the two agin each other; it ain't either/or. And maybe another
> point is, you don't wanna substitute redundancy for the additional
> reliability that simplicity can give ya. But when all is saidNdone, and
> the pucker meter pegs, there's nothing quite like a backup. That was my
> point.

What gets missed there is "enough" to do what we need done.  Lots of systems
are top heavy with novelty then needed function

> What I said about the sposedly "simple" system turning out not to be, is
> true enough, but that dudnt negate the fact that there IS "simpler" vrs
> "more complex". Didn't mean to sound like I was saying, "nothing's
> simple, so all you can do to enhance reliability is make it redundant."
> Twasn't me intent, tho it sure mighta sounded like it.

Things can be so simple that to be more reliable would only mean redundant.

Snip

> Redundancy and simplicity have NOTHING to do with each other.

?? a simple system, if using passive redundance, maybe, but if using active,
means that it needs to be more complex.

> Reliability and simplicity DO. You can have a system that's just DIRT
> simple, and then if you have TWO of them, you're still better off
> (unless you do something really dumb). It's called "spare parts", eh?
> There are two basic types of redundancy: passive and active. Passive is
> where, when you believe you have a failure, you shut one down (or toss
> one out, your choice of words) and swap another one in. "Spare parts",
> sotaspeak. Active redundancy is where you have multiple "good ones"
> running/working in parallel, and they all vote to throw the joker out if
> someone runs amuck, and there's a disagreement about who's sane and
> who's not. That's what Greg was referring to in the Shuttle.
>
> What's all this gotta do with EFI? Wull, I find the complexity of modern
> ECUs pretty overwhelming, but given all the smog requirements, I'm not
> at all sure how to avoid it.

For educational / racing purposes, folks ain't hampered by that

 OTOH, it's sure awful easy to miss the
> forest for the trees. It IS really true what they say about "at some
> level of complexity, technology is indistinguishable from magic". When
> things get so friggin tangled that you have to be a member of the EFI
> illuminati for years before it all comes together in your mind, geez
> something's baroque (as in "broke").

For fuel anyway,
Just strining a bunch of 555s together sounds like the answer to me.  Some
logic for DFCO,and related stuff is all that's "needed", and for example
just look at a carb, their really not alot going on there.
Grumpy