555 EFI competition

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Sat Jul 1 20:25:48 GMT 2000

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 12:34:31 -0400, rr <RRauscher at nni.com> wrote:

>Uh-oh, Garfinkle, I'm not one that fails <g>, just have to remember
>that I'm a few hours ahead of ya' and I need my rest.

No problem, I understand perfectly. I've often been told I need to get
my beauty rest. :)

>The Rochester 'Vette fuelie system was intro'd in '57  on the 283 ci
>v8 Corvette. It was a mechanical system with an upper plenum and
>short runners to the intake ports, like a short tunnel-ram system.
>
>The throttle body was mounted on the driver side of the plenum,
>facing out the side. The first units on the 283 were rated at 315HP,
>at whatever rating style they used then.
>
>With the intoduction of the the 327, the plenum was made larger,
>along with getting a ribbed lid for it. The ribbing matched the ribs
>on the case aluminum value covers, nice touch. (These valve covers
>had a more ribs then the standard ribbed Vette covers).
>
>At the time, these units came on the higher HP rated 'Vette engines,
>and produced good drivability. They were in demand by the road
>race types due to being unaffected by altitude and g-forces.
>
>Today they command a high price due to availability and originality.

Thanks for the history; honestly, I NEVER knew that such a system ever
existed. I've been looking about on the net for stuff on it, and tho I
found very little, I did see that even the limited edition '57 Pontiac
Bonneville Ragtop was equipped with same system.

Anyone know of a place on the net where there are pictures of this
beastie, please let me know.

>I have some info on how the mechanics of the FI worked, however
>I'll need to find it first.

I'd love to see it, if you can scare it up. Might even remember you in
my will if I could get a copy. :)

Gar