Water injection (was: Re: fuel cooling intake air)

Axel Rietschin Axel_Rietschin at compuserve.com
Sat Jul 8 05:08:53 GMT 2000

From: "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>
> > Said differently, everything you'd gain from a lower temperature would
be
> > lost because of oxygen displacement. Denser, yes, but that much diluted
> with
> > an inert substance.
>
> Just one little problem, it works.

Oh, really? Did you try to inject water before the IC, after the IC and also
near the port and, more importantly, did you measure the differences?

> Less detonation, oh good, that's what a deisel runs on (compression
> ignition).  My above example is a diesel so according to you it should run
> poorer, oh OK.

I don't think that compression ignition qualifies as detonation.

> > If you are concerned about the charge density, you can also consider to
> use
> > a more efficient intercooler and/or spray water on the outside of it.
This
> > will give you a cooler, denser charge, still 100% made of air.
>
> Spray water thur the intercooler, onto the ground and then drive over it,
> that really don't sound to smart.

That's the way it is. For years, turbo rally cars had intercooler spray
systems. Most race ECUs used in rallying have dedicated functions for that
express purpose.

> when
> > using water injection.
> > I've at least one counter example: the Ford Escort Cosworth World Rally
> Car
> > has both WI and an intercooler spray system, and water is injected after
> the
> > IC.
>
> I can name examples of all kinds of stuff.  The key is execution.

That's a working, proven example. You can replace the car manufacturer and
make by any contender in the WRC.

> > Just my $0.02
> > Axel
> > PS: About spraying FUEL before the IC, I hope you'll never have any
> > backfire, because the mixture in most of the induction system will be
> REALLY
> > flammable, hot and compressed :)
>
> If I have a backfire at WOT, there is a serious problem, and the worst
part
> is the cause of the backfire.  You making no disticntion about quanities,
> and just using a worst case scenerio.  Fine.

Yes. And in this case, the worst case is an explosion followed by an engine
fire. Not a very appealing. Maybe, you experience is limited to engine
running only 15sec, mostly at WOT, so you are willing to take that chance?