EFI fuel pump and water.

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Jul 13 15:39:52 GMT 2000

> You might want to look at using high-velocity air to shear the water
> into a mist. You may be able to bleed some of your turbo-output
> (pre-intercooler so you still have a higher pressure) to an
> air-nozzle, then use a venturi-suction effect (Bernoulli) to feed in
> the water and to cause it to mist.

If I understand what your saying:
Your basically making a carb venturii to atomize the fuel.  Knowing what
that looks like compared to the high pressure nozzle arrangement, there is
absolutely no contest.  The High PSI system leaves a fog, it's almost cloud
like.  Which on the vaporization side is what I want.  Also, the discharge
from the turbo say 20 PSI, the pressure drop across the I/C what maybe 2-3,
what real flow would that generate?.  If you add the water pre-turbo all it
does (other then kill the compressor, if more then the modest of amounts),
the centrifigal force throws it to the walls anyway.  Don't see where any of
this works.

> It should be easy enough to modulate the amount of water by
> restricting its flow using a low-pressure valve in the water suction
> line. Just keep the bleed air bleeding.
> That removes the need to use a high-pressure water pump to achieve
> the fine mist.

For all the custom machining, fab work, the pump is tons easier, and DIYer
friendly.
Please note the wording.

 Tricky bit would be to ensure that you have enough
> pressure differential between the bled-air and the manifold for it
> to work. A secondary-air pump may be useful to ensure a higher
> pressure, if it'll cope with the high inlet temperature (I don't
> know the characteristics of such pumps to any detail.)

This is now, ME overkill, IMHO.

> The hotter air would also assist in creating water vapour to reduce
> the likelihood of water erosion around critical areas such as
> valves.

What hotter air, and what valves.

> If you're metering air flow, then you'd need to bleed the air
> downstream of the meter.
> That's just an idea. It may work. Feel free to jump in and knock the
> idea on the head.
> Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning

Grumpy
LGICOCSH,HQT