Dual Fuel EFI

grobbins grannys at sos.net
Sat Jul 15 18:00:39 GMT 2000

Have any of you guys ever given this any thought?
I'm thinking of a plenum w/ a throttle body for a gas system
on one end, and a throttle body on the other end for an Alky
efi setup. Two completely independent systems, with the
advantage of being able to sip gasoline around town and for
start-ups, and at the "flip of a switch" (or use of a
separate throttle), using the alky end for the occasional
high boost contest at the strip, then drive back home on gas
when you're done playing. I know that staging or phasing the
two systems together is a potential nightmare, but at least
at first, I'm talking about using one OR the other, as
completely separate stand alone systems.
I have been thinking of building a hybrid carburetor as an
experiment, a Holley 4bbl modified by using two primary
throttle shafts and two separate throttles, essentially 2
separate 2bbl carbs in one assy, and converting one half for
alcohol, and maybe running an emissions test, just to see
the difference on the same engine back to back, and to have
the ability to accelerate with either throttle shaft at will
at any time without having to shut off the engine.
I've raced with both gas and alky holleys before, but I
wonder if a dual fuel system might allow easy passing of a
smog test at will, the convenience of gasoline for long
trips and cold weather operation, and still have big power
potential when the occasion arises. Some places have
exemptions and credits for alternative fuels, and I have
even seen methanol pumps at filling stations in the LA area.

Anyone have any thoughts ?
Grant