Generic Bosch O2 sensor

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Mon Jul 24 18:02:43 GMT 2000

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 05:16:55 +1200, Steve Spiers <s.spiers at xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

>Bruce Plecan wrote:
>> I wouldn't worry about what he thinks.
>> You now know they are designed as switches ie the non WB ones.
>> Something about leading a horse to water and getting drunk should apply
>> here, but I forget the saying <g>...

Sir, I resemble that remark. Gee that alters the nature of the common
epithet, now don't it?  "...*!~#+ you and the horse you got drunk on".
Hmm.

>> > I guy I know does not believe me what I
>> > tell him about the generic O2 sensors. He reckons that generic Bosch
>> > O2 sensor results in a very wide range of readings.

This confusion actually happens often enough when people talk about
BOSCH O2 sensors that I wonder if it isn't a symptom of the fact that
Bosch does make a basically ordinary 4-wire HEGO called the LSM-11,
that's been widely put to work as a WB sensor by careful quality control
at the factory AND some pretty hefty electrics to temperature-compensate
and cal the sensor. Indeed, you can take an LSM-11 and use it as a
conventional switch-type HEGO and it will work happy as a clam. It's
just one of those special cases where in desperation I guess (Bosch was
YEARS late in developing their own oxypump sensor, the LSU sensor), they
WERE actually ABLE to make a silk purse outta a sow's ear. Ya know,
kinda the exception that proves the rule, sorta. Maybe people tend to
think this applies to any Bosch sensor.

Just a theory; ya know how I luv theories.

Garfarkle