"Normal" O2 sensor

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 25 01:04:13 GMT 2000

Garfield Willis tapped away at the keyboard with:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:44:15 -0400, "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>
> wrote:

> >Silicone poisoning can still have relatively good cross counts, and just low
> >voltage so it looks like fuel but it's the sensor.
>
> Interesting point there, Oh Conical One. Say, have you or anyone else
> seen the symptoms of a blown headgasket with ethylene glycol-based
> antifreeze going out the pipe and contaminating the O2 sensor. It's
> always referred to as one of the failure modes and especially something
> to check following a head going pop, for diagnosticians, but I've never
> heard/read a description of the actual detailed symtoms at the O2 end,
> like does the output range collapse, shift, just get slow, what?

> Only those having observed an O2 failure shortly after blowing a
> head-gasket, need reply. (I hate the thot of having to search thru a
> bunch of pundit theoreticals, ifyaknowadamean :).

Data point:
Head gasket failure, but no O2 sensor failure; many moons ago.
It happened when I got 2nd instead of 4th after redlining in 3rd.

O2 sensor "failed" about a year later with 'lazy' response.
Maybe nothing to do with the coolant 'contamination'. Would have
been 40,000 km later.

[snip]

--
Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning