"Normal" O2 sensor

rhuish at goldrush.com rhuish at goldrush.com
Tue Jul 25 17:10:45 GMT 2000

On 25 Jul 2000, at 5:00, Gar wrote:

I guess this data might well be classified as 'Extraneous'.

Fact: Blown head gasket pumping copious amounts of anti freeze
and oil out the exhaust system. After repair intown mileage
dropped 15-20%, highway mileage 5%.

Due to a multitude of reasons (excuses) the O2 sensor was not replaced..
Now, 15K miles later the mileage is ~5% less then pre-blown but erratic.
Multiple hiway trips yield increased mileage and improved
driveability.

I suspect the long trips which involve extended turbo use and
associated higher exhaust temps, 'clean?' the sensor. Just a
feeling not based on measurements. Oh yes, before I forget, the
sensor was tested recently and pronounced "well within spec",
whatever that means.

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:54:16 -0400, "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I would imagine has alot to due with how the gasket fails.
> >I've seen some that were driven for so long there were erosin
> >problems from the coolant leaking.  I' ve seen some that were at
> >least worthy of the term catastrophic.  I can't remember one killing
> >the O2.  Initially might take some running for them to purge and get
> >good cross counts, but they did live. This is kinda dated material,
> >have't done a blown head gaket in last few years.
>
> Yeah, this is part of the problem in tracking down these things. I've
> read in a number of places warning the tech "don't be surprised if you
> find the O2 sensor failed from antifreeze contamination after
> repairing a blown head gasket", but I've never actually heard of it
> happening either.
>
> I seriously doubt if it's an urban-engine legend, ifyaknowadamean, but
> it may be rare enough to qualify along with a Blue Moon, which I KNOW
> does happen, specially with the right sun glasses.
>
> Thanks for the input; any others?
>
> Gar

CudaBob '65 - Angels Camp, Calif
CudaBob at workmail.com