O2 sensors: Why not Exhaust Temp?

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Jul 26 15:09:45 GMT 2000

EGT tells you how close you are to the thermal limits of your engine.   It
is a reflection of the timing and AFR (as far as tuning, goes).
   Who doesn't endorse them?.
   It's a tuning tool, same as a WB O2.
   Still the only way to see what actually going on is reading the plugs.
   Tuning is about information, the more info., the better judgement calls
can be made.
Grumpy

> It has been made quite clear why standard O2 sendors are very limited for
engine
> tuning. And "wide band" sensors are rather expensive especially for those
of us
> who use leaded fuel.   Most of my race-buddies swear by Exhaust
Temperature. But