fuel pressure and regulators

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Jun 1 16:53:54 GMT 2000

In the few gm efi pumps I've pulled apart they have been roller types, so
yes they can be pulled thru, however there is still a huge restriction.  If
for a temporary drive situation till wiring up EFI, what the hell (normal
disclaimers apply, ya get what ya pay for).
   Some one mentioned recirculating fuel cools it, maybe in some
applications, but in some it really serves to heat the fuel.  IE look at the
fuel line routing on a LG4 84 F Body.  The lines all but wrap around the
tranny, and on a good long run on a hot day, you can hardly hold the return
by the fuel tank.
  On a carbby, the best routing I came up with was using a non return style
regulator with an accumulator chamber up by the carb, with a .020"
restricted line line back to the tank, from the highest part of the chamber.
That way the min amount was preheated, and any vapor that accumulated was
returned to the tank.
   The reason they make different pumps, ie TBI, TPI is so that each one
serves a specific function.  Ya you can get some things to work, but what
happens when they fail?.  Have the regulator stick on a system running 50
PSI, and watch what the carb does, BTW have several firefighters in full
garb with all the neseccary equipment handy also.
Grumpy