Which Honda Civic had the wideband O2

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Tue Jun 6 20:18:39 GMT 2000

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 15:28:29 EDT, ECMnut at aol.com wrote:

>Gar,
>is this sensor unacceptable?
>
>And Grumpy,
>92-95
>Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC??
>I though those just came out in '99...
>Did these cars exist in the states?
>Thanks,
>MV

>In a message dated 6/6/00 3:30:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ECMnut at aol.com
>writes:
>
>> Gar,
>>  is this sensor unacceptable?
>>
>Soory, I was referring to the HX 4 wire sensor..
>MV

Yup, I gotcha the first time around Mike. Nope, not unacceptable, but it
works differently; I've been working on a way to use them with EGOR
also. I didn't bother when the Toyota 4-wire widebands came out (also a
Denso part, but not the same one as the Honda 4-wire Denso), because
they were WAY spendy compared to the Honda/NTKs. But THESE latest Denso
ones used in the HX are now about as cheap as the NTKs, so it makes
sense to see if we can include them in the "available donors" list. :)

There isn't any *advantage* to them, AFAIK, so there isn't any pressing
need to cover them as well, but we'll get to em. The bigger/wider the
source of suitable sensors, the better for everyone.

>I though those just came out in '99...
>Did these cars exist in the states?

Nope/Yup, Honda's been using this sensor a LONG time ago, but they only
deployed the VTEC cars in states that were real smog-bitchy, so you
don't have trouble finding them in CALIF for example. Other areas, I
just dunno.

If you do snag some outta a yard (be a welcome economy move if you're
planning on a per-cylinder O2 setup), I'd still think it would be wise
to get at least ONE brand new one as your "standard". EGOR's free-air
calibration procedure will tell you if the sensor is still within range
and not contaminated or tired from too many miles/hours, but it's always
nice to have a "known good" one around just to confirm.

Gar