Idle control module - function/modify signal?

Rich M rsrich at cwcom.net
Fri Jun 9 10:24:16 GMT 2000

Albert,
I think the 'module' you speak of is the canister purge valve (tank vent). I
believe it is just that - a valve; inlet from (tank vent) charcoal canister,
outlet to intake manifold, 2-wire connection to the operating coil (one wire
is ignition switched +12V feed, maybe red/blue, the other is controlled by
the ECU, maybe brown/red).
As far as the intended operation is concerned, I can quote from a UK Haynes
workshop manual:
"the charcoal canister is purged under ECU control through the fuel tank
vent valve. To ensure that the engine runs correctly when cold and/or
idling, and to protect the cat. converter from the effects of an over-rich
mixture, the valve is not opened by the ECU until the engine is under
partial or full load. The valve is then modulated on and off to allow the
stored vapour to pass into the inlet"
Have you tried clamping off the hose which goes to the inlet manifold -
maybe the vent valve is leaking or open at the wrong time?

Is the idle speed maintained OK once the engine is hot, with varying
electrical load for example? Is the idle speed contol air valve working OK?
(pinch off the hose from IAC valve to intake - idle speed should drop). I
have heard of the Idle speed valve (IAC) getting sticky and sluggish, it is
a rotary valve and maybe the spool is not able to open fast enough to
maintain idle speed when you lift off and the engine speed falls to idle.

Has the base idle (throttle plate setting) been adjusted properly?
Adjust with engine at operating temperature. Pich off the IAC valve hose
that goes to the intake. Adjust the idle speed by means of the throttle
plate stop screw to 650rpm (maybe only just runs at this speed:-) ), release
the hose clamp - this should then raise the idle speed to approx. 850-900
rpm due to the action of the IAC valve. The ECU should then be able to
maintain idle speed under varying load conditions (electrical load, air
conditioning etc) by adjusting the position of the IAC valve.

The vent valve which you originally asked about should have no part in idle
speed control, it should be shut at idle, the IAC valve (aluminium
cylindrical valve, 2x 1/2" hose connections, 2-pin electrical connector,
usually mounted on top of the engine above the injectors) does all the idle
speed air control.

I'm rambling... I'll get my coat...
Rich.