Honda/NGK O2 sensor part # versus Horiba/NGK O2 sensor part #s

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Fri Jun 16 04:05:03 GMT 2000

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:15:33 -0500, "Jason R. Haines"
<jhaines at lingenfelter.com> wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone has ordered the Honda/NGK sensor that people are
>claiming is the same as the sensor used by Horiba and ECM? I have a lot of
>the Horiba NGK sensors and they have part numbers stamped on the hex part of
>the sensor. If someone could email me the part numbers on the Honda/NGK
>sensor, I could compare them to the Horiba sensors we have.

Don't go getting yourself confused on this. It's been pointed out on
DIYEFI several times that there is more than one "NTK" sensor. You don't
need part nos. off the casing to distinguish them either; the connectors
are distinctly different and the sensor's tip is also in some cases. The
Honda/NTK sensor has a single row of holes around the tip; the NTK-oem
one sold with the NTK blue boxes has TWO rows of holes around the tip.
The direct-from-NTK ones I've see *also* all had the letters CSC
engraved on there upper housing.

The Honda/NTK as well as the NTK-oem sensors DO have a stamped number on
the hex flat portion, but that is a LOT number!, not a part no. I know
this because first of all we have many of the Honda's here of course,
all the same part no. but with different numbers stamped on the hex
flats. Second, when we were buying them in multiples to test sensor
variation/spread from lot to lot, we had the misfortune of getting two
of them from the same mfg. lot number. And yup, their calibration
resistor values were identical. I say "misfortune", because at that
time, we wanted them ALL to be as different as we could, in order to get
a good statistical spread on variations, for the $$$ we were pouring
into them. [You learn nuthing from two that are identical, except of
course that within a lot, their mfg. quality controls are pretty good.
:]

Now as to who uses which ones, Horiba has gotten its sensors direct from
NTK from day one; for a long time, they have had an exclusive license to
mfg. "test equipment" using this earliest of NTK's sensors. ECM however
does indeed use the Honda/NTK sensor with their "AFM-1000 AFR Combustion
Monitor" product; I know this two ways. First, I have a glossy advert of
the AFM-1000 & the sensor they use; it's got one row of holes. But I
know also from a more certain source that they are indeed using
Honda/NTKs; we used to buy Honda/NTK sensors from the same dealer that
sells them to ECM. I know this for a fact, because I was buddies with
the parts manager at that dealership. :)

Finally, another person onlist who recently got two SpeedPro (aka
FelPro) systems with their wideband O2 option, had asked me about the
differences in sensors, because he ALSO owned a couple NTK blue boxes.
After I reminded him of the particulars regarding the connectors and the
sensor markings and especially the sensor tip holes, he also confirmed
that the ones that came with the SpeedPro did indeed match the Honda/NTK
description to a tee, all the way down to the difference in calibration
resistances (the NTK-directs have cal Rs in the hundreds of ohm range;
the Hondas in the several thousands of ohms), AND are indeed distinctly
different from the NTK blue-box sensors.

>From the profuse amount of info I've released on these sensors, the only
way you could have been misled to think "that people are claiming is the
same as the sensor used by Horiba and ECM", is if you hadn't been
reading these posts too carefully. Remember, the devil's in the details.

Gar