GARFIELD IS WAY WAY OUT OF LINE <snip>

Buchholz, Steven Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com
Fri Jun 16 23:44:55 GMT 2000

Come on now, calm down ...

Neither Gar nor anyone else who received your post was obliged to reply to
your request to be proven right or wrong.  It sure seems to me that if you
read his post, it was in fact a reply that gave you a lot of information
that you could use to reach your goals (e.g. you should look to find proper
transfer function curves).  You've got to know that of all of the people on
this list, Gar has to be the one with the most BTDT on this subject, and I
appreciate the fact that he is willing to share some of what he knows with
us ... I realize that he does not need to do so.  There may be others here
who know as much or more than Gar does on the subject, but if so they don't
seem to be too willing to share ...

I did not see Gar's warning about frying sensors as a personal attack ... it
seems to me that he was stating that these things are fragile and anyone who
messes with the thing might end up with an expensive paperweight.  I would
consider that a word to the wise for you, or anyone else who is planning to
do any "black box" experimentation at the device terminals.  It sure makes
me think that Gar has probably learned that lesson the hard way ... and by
listening you might be able to get away without toasting a sensor ... or
perhaps to think about trying to find spent sensors for any early
experimentation ...

One thing that I have learned from participating in e-mail lists over the
years is the problem with reading e-mails is that you never know the true
intent of the author (I usually phrase it "you can't see their face.") ... I
don't know Gar from Adam, but from reading his post it seems to be his style
... you think that calling someone "dood" would be more of a laid back sorta
admonition rather than an aggressive personal attack.  That said, of course
he could have meant it either way ...

I get the impression that you are a fairly new member of this list, and I
can understand that you are probably excited about this project and learning
from it.  I've been on this list a while, primarily as a lurker because I
don't have a lot of BTDT, but I try to help out when I can.  This list is
made up of a bunch of folks who are interested in internal combustion engine
management & control, but probably for most this is an avocation, so the
amount of time that can be put to this sort of thing is not a lot.  If you
work with the members of the group, and keeping in mind the fact that the
list is a "give and get" thing you'll probably be able to benefit from this
list ... and the list will benefit from you as well ...

My apologies for this off-topic post, but it was done in the hope that
things will settle down quickly ...

Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)