(Randell)RE: Improper DIY_EFI behaviour

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Sat Jun 17 16:21:06 GMT 2000

Based on been there, done that, in concdrt with some VERY capable people,
the electronics ARE simple, and the hard cost of the bits involved to build
an EGOR is well under $50 .

Getting the dirty details of the various sensors is not simple, quickly
done, or inexpensive.

Most of the trick in the electronics lies in controlling the heater circuit
in a manner that avoids damage to the sensor.

The rest of the time consuming and expensive part of the development lies
in calibrating what you have once the electronics are designed and built. A
self calibrating sensor is INDEED a big achievement--and will be
advantageous to all of us, both in convenience and in terms of $$$$ saved.

The market for WBO2 sensors has been a "black magic" affair for a long
time, mostly due to the fact that Horiba has more lawyers than capable
engineers on its payroll, and their choice was to try to set up a market
"skimming" situation. Federal Mogul/Fel Pro/ Speed Pro has not helped
things with their "you must come back to us each and every time you cook a
sensor" (profiteering and skimming again) approach. Not to mention the fact
that their calibration is ADMITTEDLY (by one of the Speed Pro principals)
suspect under certain conditions!

There was a group of highly qualified individuals from this list who
privately set out to develop an EGOR control box a while back. That group
kind of deferred to the fact that Gar was going to be coming to market with
one for a fair and reasonable price. That group was certainly far enough
into the project to have a full understanding of what would be involved in
getting a viable, accurate sensor control designed and operable--and
believe me--it would have been a LOT of time consuming work!

I believe that Gar tried to take it on on his own and learned exactly what
the group from the list did about "The devil's in the details!" He is!!

I am familiar with the details of the resumes of those who lworked in the
subject group, and when I say that all members were and ARE highly
qualified, I know of what I speak. I am not going to comment on Paul's
qualifications--or lack thereof--beyond saying that qualified professionals
do not tend to use profanity in a public forum, so judge for yourselves!

And with that--while neither my eyes, ears or mouth are particularly
virgin, I must request that John, Orin or Steve immediately remove Paul
from the list! The way that he mouthed of in his recent post is simply
unacceptable in this forum! I think he needs to go develop his version of
EGOR in the usenet environment, his approach is simply not welcome with me,
nor do I believe that it is welcome here!

Greg