Copyright issues

Dylan Johnson DJohnson at cancorpam.com
Thu Jun 22 13:18:15 GMT 2000

I have tried to several times to download the archives and have yet to be
successful. Does anyone have some insight as to how copyright law covers the
data in an EPROM? Specifically I have purchased an aftermarket EPROM to
compare to the data in my stock chip to see the changes made and use that
data as a starting point for my own chip. I know that I can't copy it and
sell it or give it away but can I use the data for research? At what point
does copyright stop protecting the data? For example could I leave all of
the data the same but just add more ignition advance at the top end? I have
begun an off list discussion with an individual that has already made a chip
for my ECU and would like to have me compare his BIN to the aftermarket BIN
and tell him what differences exist. I've told him I want to make sure this
is ok before I help him. Thank you in advance for any help that may be
offered.