Copyright issues

Erik Quackenbush erik at midwestfilter.com
Thu Jun 22 15:19:34 GMT 2000

The first question is whether you are bound solely by copyright law or if
the firmware is protected by a licensing agreement. If the aftermarket
EPROM came with a software licensing agreement then you technically didn't
BUY the software and you're bound by the terms of the licensing agreement.

In the absence of a licensing agreement the firmware is protected by
copyright law (unless it has been placed in the public domain). As the
owner of a copy you are allowed to examine and modify the firmware in any
way you see fit. You are also allowed to make archival copies for your own
use, so you could make a copy and then modify the copy without trashing the
original. You are not allowed to distribute copies to others except under
very limited circumstances (temporary loans of the original are OK, as is
quoting a small portion if you give credit to the author).

-Erik

At 09:14 AM 6/22/2000 -0400, Dylan Johnson wrote:
>I have tried to several times to download the archives and have yet to be
>successful. Does anyone have some insight as to how copyright law covers the
>data in an EPROM? Specifically I have purchased an aftermarket EPROM to
>compare to the data in my stock chip to see the changes made and use that
>data as a starting point for my own chip. I know that I can't copy it and
>sell it or give it away but can I use the data for research? At what point
>does copyright stop protecting the data? For example could I leave all of
>the data the same but just add more ignition advance at the top end? I have
>begun an off list discussion with an individual that has already made a chip
>for my ECU and would like to have me compare his BIN to the aftermarket BIN
>and tell him what differences exist. I've told him I want to make sure this
>is ok before I help him. Thank you in advance for any help that may be
>offered.

Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com