Copyright issues

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Jun 22 16:00:12 GMT 2000

The reason, I really think anyone would get upset is generally they do so
little they just hate getting caught, IMHO..  I've seen some ridiculously
expensive ones that do look like they put alot of work into them, but for
the mailorder stuff nothing has impressed me.  I've seen several aftermarket
ones that had nothing but the fan temp lowered, and the used a thermostat
for a lower running temp for enrichment.
   One clever thing I saw was that they removed the checksum, and Id and
wrote their own name in there so that it did reflect who's chip it was.
Other then that, be pretty hard to say who's chip it was, in the 100s that
I've done I sure any number of them might be close to someone elses, so
what.
   As long as you use a genetic term for the altered bin, who knows whoz it
is.
   Grumpy

> I have tried to several times to download the archives and have yet to be
> successful. Does anyone have some insight as to how copyright law covers
the
> data in an EPROM? Specifically I have purchased an aftermarket EPROM to
> compare to the data in my stock chip to see the changes made and use that
> data as a starting point for my own chip. I know that I can't copy it and
> sell it or give it away but can I use the data for research? At what point
> does copyright stop protecting the data? For example could I leave all of
> the data the same but just add more ignition advance at the top end? I
have
> begun an off list discussion with an individual that has already made a
chip
> for my ECU and would like to have me compare his BIN to the aftermarket
BIN