Automotive Circuit Protection - Part 3

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Jun 25 01:32:14 GMT 2000

Garfield Willis tapped away at the keyboard with:

> Yeah, of *course* there's a Part 3. What good's all the blather if you
> can't USE it? Ahem, that's what we'll try to cover, or at least get
> started; this is where the rubber starts to meet the road.

[snip]
> These two issues are the first we'll combine together in dealing with
> how to PLAN and SIZE protection for your precious DIY goodies. The first
> above is of course, how to choose the proper fusing/breakers to BE that
> "second line of defense" (you'll see it's not quite as trivial as you
> might first think), as well as choosing the Transorb to both work well
> with the fuse/breaker, AND work well all by itself, when the transient
> isn't going to be severe enough to trip fuse/breaker.

What are the maximum levels of energy? i.e.  How many joules are
there in the transients you're trying to suppress?

Is it reasonable to assume that yours will be the only device
absorbing the transient's energy? If not, how does one estimate the
amount to be absorbed by other devices?

Does the cable length (inductance/resistance) between the transient
source and the device you're protecting play any significant role in
reducing the transient energy arriving at your device?

Are the SAE or DIN standards (for example) sufficient to cover
reasonable eventualities in practice?

[snip]

--
Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning