555 EFI

Steven Ciciora ciciora at Ciciora.com
Fri Jun 30 15:31:13 GMT 2000

> Hey, If you can show me plans for EFI reduced to a
> 555, I'll be the first to build it and withdraw the joke

> Bruce Roe, With 79 Cadillac injection, ANALOG
> ECU, and no OX sensor or closed loops at all

Didn't some guy from Superchips, Hyperchips, or something like that post
how he used a vortex shedding flowmeter (from a junkyard) and a 555 for a
fuel injection setup?  A vortex shedding flowmeter puts out one pulse for
every x grams of air, so for every pulse, it fires a 555 oneshot, long
enough to put out (1/14.7) grams of gas through the injectors.  The flow
meter didn't have a perfect linear output, but you can 'tune' for the
range of interest.  And it worked.  Didn't that post spawn off a seperate
group on building a 555 injection setup?

<snip>
<a different post>

> PS. Thanks for your thoughts Bruce, but we want to keep it simple and try
and use just a single 555 for the main circuit. We would be happy for
your
design to use the low power CMOS 555 variant - we are always looking to reduce
our fossil fuel reliance.

Umm, your kidding about wanting to use CMOS parts, right?  I bet the turn
signal uses 100x the power of a non-cmos 555.