555 EFI competition

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Fri Jun 30 16:43:06 GMT 2000

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:12:17 -0500, steve ravet <sravet at arm.com> wrote:

>OK, that was a bad joke.  I don't have plans for such a thing, I don't
>think you can actually build one.  IIRC, you need AND, OR, NOT to
>implement logic expressions, and I don't think you can build an inverter
>out of diodes.  Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm wrong.

I liked the joke. After all, look at how many you snagged with it! :)

Nope, you're dead right. A "minimum complete set" of operators in
boolean algebra needed for computation, requires at least a 2-input
logic element (AND or OR), and inversion (NOT). Of course that means
that a single element WITH inverted output (NOR or NAND) is sufficient
for a "complete set" of operators. But diodes alone can't give you an
inversion.

I was going to suggest I could help out with your diode-quest, since the
good General von Munchausen seems to require a 555, was to see if I
couldn't MAKE a diode outta a 555. Hee. Remember what Will Shakehispear
said, "Stoned walls do not a prison make, nor Iron bars a gage".

>Am I to believe that the originator of this thread really works at GM,
>that he really wants the DIY_EFI group to help GM design an ECM based on
>a single 555 chip, and that the best design will win a "prize of your
>chosing"?  If that's the case then please have a 2001 model Corvette
>convertible, Dark Bowling Green, Z51, MN6 standing by for delivery to
>Champion Chevrolet, Austin, TX.

The domain "exterminator.net" is one of those freebie e-mail account
outfits like hotmail.com, so I think you can be sure it's not someone
representing GM of course. I had a neat idea, tho. I should get an
account on one of those as WillysMotors at exterminator.net . Ya know,
Willys is an old english spelling for Willis.

Ahhh, a 1939-41 Willys Delivery; now THERE was a ride!

Garfarkle

P.S. Obligatory EFI content; did you know the mark of the beast is
actually 555, not 666. Snort.