555 EFI competition

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Fri Jun 30 17:54:10 GMT 2000

The 75-79 Cadillac EFI uses 8 port injectors with an open
(no runners) manifold and throttle body.  It fires off one bank
or the other from reed switches in the distributor.  The pulse
width for the peak and hold injectors is essentially 1.8 ms
plus a value directly proportional to absolute manifold
pressure.  The MAP sensor is mounted inside the ECU with
a long hose to the intake.  The pulse width is modulated by
things like air & water temp, starting to cover start/cold

The whole thing is done with OP AMP type analog circuits.  The
basic fuel curve is a simple straight line of manifold absolute
pressure vs pulse width.  For Wide Open Throttle a second
richer line overrides the other.  I have reverse engineered the
entire thing with detailed drawings of the circuit and explanations
of how each section works (except that J-K Flip Flop).  This info
is free to anybody by snail mail; I think someone has also
scanned it for E transfer

There is a mechanical switch on the throttle which feeds back
21pulses as the throttle opens so the injectors can fire extra
enrichment pulses.  It also indicates max or min throttle to the
ECU.  There is not a variable resistor to feed back a voltage

These units are fairly common in junk yard 76-79 Cad Sevilles
and I have modified the pulse width for engines other than the
stock 350.  But the possibilities are limited with a straight line
fuel curve and no feedback loops.  Bruce Roe