555 EFI competition

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Fri Jun 30 19:01:14 GMT 2000

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:44:05 -0600, bearbvd at cmn.net (Greg Hermann)
wrote:

>The whole thing sounds a whole lot like Cad reverse engineered a Bosch
>D-Jetronic.

Hey dood, you're right. Here's a quote I just picked up from Motor Age:

"EFI began its rise to absolute domination of gasoline engine fuel
delivery with Bosch’s D-Jetronic system, which was offered on a number
of European imports in the early 1970s. As many of the EFI savvy among
us know, this system was adapted for use on some Cadillac models in the
latter portion of that decade. What you may not know is that America’s
Bendix Corp. was the first to manufacture this basic system, and 100 of
these units were placed on Chrysler automobiles in the 1958 model year.
Unfortunately, these systems could not be made practically or reliably
prior to the development of solid-state electronics and integrated
circuits."

Gawd, EFI back in '58. And I thot I was a fossil.

Gar