555 EFI competition

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Fri Jun 30 23:59:21 GMT 2000

>On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:44:05 -0600, bearbvd at cmn.net (Greg Hermann)
>wrote:
>
>>The whole thing sounds a whole lot like Cad reverse engineered a Bosch
>>D-Jetronic.
>
>Hey dood, you're right. Here's a quote I just picked up from Motor Age:
>
>"EFI began its rise to absolute domination of gasoline engine fuel
>delivery with Bosch’s D-Jetronic system, which was offered on a number
>of European imports in the early 1970s.

VW, Saab, Volvo. Funny part on the Volvos, with their NON-cross flow heads,
was how easy it was (is) to vapor lock them, despite the electric pump at
the back (not and in-tank). The fuel manifold on the head would pick up
enough heat that the fuel \returning to the tank was WAY hot. Eventually,
under heavy load, the tank full of fuel would about come to a boil, and the
electric pump wouldn't be able to even drow it over the hump out of the
tank!

If ya want an old Bosch control box to play with, I prolly have several
around. Circuit board traces are about 1/4" wide and prolly 10 mils thick!
Pretty rugged stuff. I expect you could figger it out in not very long at
all, and then concoct something using more modern bits, such as a mag
pick-up to replace the reed switches in the dixxy, and smaller electronic
components--Maybe some IC's instead of the discreet components. Do this
thing with a DIS, and it might be pretty kewl for an XA app.

Shouldn't be any big deal at all if redesigning one of these to change from
the funky TPS they used to a voltage TPS. Should be an equally small deal
to give the pilot a pot to adjust his mixture by EGT with. The MAP sensor
that they used WAS aneroid, so altitude was already covered.
Again--shouldn't be too hard to use more modern sensors for the pressures.

Greg

As many of the EFI savvy among