fuel pressure and regulators

Mitch Barrie redneck at employees.org
Thu Jun 1 00:26:04 GMT 2000

I am planning to put a new fuel tank into my my carbureted Chevy and
decided that since the car will be apart, I may as well get a modern
internal electric fuel pump.  This would drive the TPI setup I intend to
install sometime in the future.  In the meantime I would have my old
carbureted motor, and would set up a regulator and return line to so the
electric pump worked on the carb system.

The electric fuel pump would run at something like 50-60psi, while of
course the carb only wants about 6-7psi.  I was assuming I could deal with
this with a fuel pressure regulator.  Does this seem reasonable to people?

On page 10-8 of Mike Knell's _Chevrolet TBI and TPI Engine Swapping_, he
mentions regulating TPI pressures (41-47psi) down to TBI requirements
(9-13psi): "...the pressure regulator on the [TBI] engine will bypass the
fuel.  The only problem we have seen is that the pump will run at a higher
speed because of the lower pressure, and may wear out prematurely."  He
goes on to suggest how this might be solved by using a resistor to lower
the speed of the pump.

However, I don't understand why the pump would run faster at all.  The
resistor thing sounds like a kludge.  Is there any reason why I couldn't
just regulate fuel pressure down to 6-7psi for the carb, which isn't that
far from the 9-13psi which the TBI uses?

Another option I have now would be to install a TBI/T5 from a 1991 Camaro I
own but don't drive.  This would leave me with a fairly clean Camaro body,
ripe for upgrade to TPI.  Is there much of a market in LA or the Bay Area
for such a thing?

Thanks,

Mitch

--