TPI 350 oil problem

dzorde at erggroup.com dzorde at erggroup.com
Thu Jun 1 01:00:41 GMT 2000

Fellow efi'ers.

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this one.  Although not exactly an
efi problem it does relate to my TPI 350Chev.  In the last few days it has
started on this weird problem which only happens when the car is HOT.  Whenever
you are idling the oil pressure will steadily climb to 100psi (limit of gauge,
so it could be more) then slowly come down to 70ish psi and climb again.  It
will do this till the revs are increased to 1300rpm or more, at which point the
pressure will come down to 54ish psi where it has always been since the engine
was built years ago.

It uses a hi-volume oil pump and has the oil changed regularly.  I'm still using
the same brand oil and filter I have always used.  Normal driving and idle is in
the viscinity of 54ish psi depending on temperature and the revs used.  Hence
this sudden phenomen has me puzzled.  If it was an oil pump problem I would
expect low oil pressure, not a cyclic pressure and since it doesn't happen when
the car is cold it has me at a complete loss.  I can't really see how it can be
a faulty pressure sender unit, so my guess is that it is an actual oil system
problem.  My initial question is can it be a sticky valve in the oil pump as it
seems like pressure builds up in the system and is then released so it can build
up again ?  but then I wouldn't think the pressure relief valves would be
operating at idle rpm.

rgds

Dan  dzorde at erggroup.com