DIY_EFI Digest V5 #80

crash70 crash70 at epix.net
Thu Mar 2 23:29:55 GMT 2000

 "Camden Lindsay" <cjl169 at psu.edu>
>Subject: saab ignition
>
>Hello,
>I'm just getting started on a project; an 84 audi with a newer turbo =
>motor.  I am interested in doing my own work/ using a computer/etc.  I =
>was wondering if you had any of the saab systems left, and if not can =
>you get them?  Also, I would be interested in how to interface the saab =
>ignition setup with any other or a custom setup. =20
>Thank You,
>Sincerely,
>Camden Lindsay

Camden,

Exactly what motor do you have?

Also, I'm curious as to your interest in installing a Saab ignition. Are you
after the "APC" system?

I have a little project of my own I've been working on. I am using a Bosch
LH-Jetronic (hot wire) system on a 2.0L VW motor. The motor was previously
used a Bosch CIS system. I've "bench tested the entire system (worked
perfectly) but I'm saving cash up to buy an adjustable fuel pressure
regulator so I don't have to change fuel pumps (I'll have a little extra
pressure too).

My reasoning for this is simple: eliminate the air restriction of the
metering plate on the stock CIS system. Between the airflow increase, and
the extra fuel (and timing) I'm hoping to see a significant increase in
horsepower.

I have not integrated the Saab ignition as of yet; VW's electronic system
(with knock sensor) is similar (if not better) than Saab's system.

I'd be curious to know what you're up to; maybe we can swap info!

PS I have LH bins if you need them.

Chris