ECT and voltage divider help?

Mike R Brown mike_brown at agilent.com
Fri Mar 3 15:19:23 GMT 2000

Bernd Felsche wrote:

> Daniel Houlton writes:
>
> >I'm working on a schmatic for a small controller for an electric
> >radiator fan and I have some questions on reading the ECT sensor.
>
> >Doing some testing on my truck I found that the sensor is fed 5V from
> >the ECM (measured with the wire dis-connected from the ECT), but
> >connected it only reads 3V when cold.  The voltage then drops to
> >around .65 V at normal operating temp.
>
> Looks like nominal behaviour for any NTC device. You're probably
> seeing the result of a constant-current supply being used to
> determine the sensor's resistance - a constant current through a
> variable resistance will give a variable voltage.

I don't think this he has a constant current source here.  Most likely
it is just what he describes below.  The 5v reference sourcing a fixed
internal resistance in series with the variable resistance of the
thermistor in the sensor.  The ADC is attached to the junction of the
two resistive elements and reads the voltage.  Probably a table just
translates the voltage into a temperature value.

> >It's not really important, but I was somewhat confused how hooking
> >the wire to the ECT sensor caused the voltage to drop from 5V to 3V
> >(or .7V or so when hot).  After some research on the net, I found that
> >it's set up as a voltage divider.
>
> Test the sensor in isolation; switch off the engine, unplug the
> sensor and measure the resistance using a multi-meter. If the
> resistance falls with increasing coolant temperature, then it's
> probably an NTC resistor.
>
> >So, my question is, how do I switch something based on this voltage?
> >Basically, I want to monitor the voltage to the ECT sensor and when it
> >drops to around .4 or .5 V I want to trigger an output (that eventually
> >drives a relay).  Then, while the output is triggered and the voltage

	Don't know what kind of thermistor is in your sensor but these guys can
be (are) very nonlinear.  The common GM sensors used in the system I'm
running have very little delta_R/delta_T at the very temperature range a
person is most interested in.  You can see some graphs here where I put
sensors in a thermal chamber and plotted their resistance:
http://www.sonic.net/~mikebr/plots/mat_vs_res_adc.html
What this boils down to is that the voltage ranges you are most likely
dealing with can very small.  The difference between the fan on and fan
off voltages can be very small (in the order 10-100mv).  Before I got
into reverse engineering the EFI system in my car I built an analog
circuit that would turn the fan on and off at certain set points.
Problems you will run into is that a car is a very electrically noisy
environment.  You need to pay attention to your input and supply
filtering.  Also watch out for ground loops.  My battery is in the rear
and the frame is the common return.  When the fans came on (about 30
amps inrush current) a few millivolts would develop across the frame
rails and that was more than the total hysteresis range I was dealing
with so the relay and fans would start oscillating.  Not trying to scare
you away here because an analog design is really not that difficult but
more to let you know that sometimes some weird and un-expected gotchas
are out there looking for you.  Knowing what I know now I would use the
filtering and ADC in the ECM to control these things.  A small PIC or
something like Bernd suggest might be the way to go.