OEM Black box alterations

MysticZ lt1_z28 at houston-f-body.org
Mon Mar 6 08:58:13 GMT 2000

Mary or Stephen Burgess wrote:

> Like I said I'm no electronic wizz, and it took me days to come up with a
> few speculative guesses as to it's possible uses, and so with no sure way to
> decide (replacement units are $300, and it has to come from Japan so there's
> a 4 month wait - try it and see is out!!!) I am consulting those of you with
> actual electronics background and experience with this type of thing (that
> is altering stock ignition modules)

I'm definately no electro-genius (suspension is my thing ;), but I do
have a feeling that the best way to do this is either:

1> Build a new ignition box that has the adjustability built in,
probably by retarding the ignition an extreme amount so that the retard
actually becomes advance (retard it 710 degrees and it actually advances
10 degrees, get it?) or,

b> do it mechanically by either buying a ready-made advancer (Factory,
V&H, etc.) or modifying a stock ignition rotor to be adjustable (buy
two, hack, grind, weld, and machine into one)

Personally I plan on going with b until I get farther with the fuel
injection setup for my 2 cyl. Ninja motor when I can integrate idea 1
into the brain.
--
Steve
97 Chevy Camaro Z28, Mystic teal, A4, not stock