anti-lag system

Mike (Perth, WA) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Mon Mar 6 13:59:54 GMT 2000

At 11:12 AM 4/03/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>What if you injected H2O into the exhaust manifold to create steam?
>Would the expanding steam drive the turbine?

Yes, this is what I've heard is possible, though I fear that too much
might overspeed the turbine (hence my last query about turbine speed)
and too little (in the wrong place) might just stress the turbine/manifold
without resulting in much spinup, (when its needed),

I suppose the best point of injection would be some point before the
turbo - so the water has a chance to turn into steam in the distance
available - this is assuming of course it starts out as water.
Given the exh manifold runs way above boiling usually then the water either
has to be at higher pressure or the valve for injection needs to be far
enough away so there is liquid water ie. Max use of water to steam expansion
where possible before hitting the turbine, or does it actually matter ?

Then of course there'd need to be some transient detect so the water only
comes on during 'sudden' throttle open and when the turbo is at slow speed
and doesn't turn up at other times with problematic results.

Tah

:) mike