Subaru TBI

Bernd Felsche bernie at perth.dialix.com.au
Tue Mar 7 02:28:25 GMT 2000

dzorde at erggroup.com writes:

>Just down the road from me, good to see some fellow West Aussies on the list.

That makes four!

>On a different note.  I just picked up a Subaru TBI (centre point injection,
>think its of a 1.8L import motor), the injector is a 1.6 ohm unit.  Can someone
>tell me if this has to be driven as P/H or whether it can be driven as saturated
>(if so does it need a resistor ?)

No resistor required. Injectors are normally driven by sinking
current through them; no "ballast" required. The duty cycle of
pulsing determines the flow.  No fancy timing requirements.  It's
just a cheap way of implementing an electronically-controlled
carburettor. ;-)

>The plan is to fit this to my supercharged Fiat 850.

You're a dangerous dude! :-)

You may be better served with a multi-point injection system. The
TBI system you're using is probably limited to delivering enough
fuel for maybe 75kW.

You deserve at least 100kW. If you drive them in parallel, it's no
more complex to drive than the TBI (other than getting some sort of
cam/crank position signal), but far more flexible than TBI.

--
Real Name: Bernd Felsche
    Email: nospam.bernie at perth.DIALix.com.au